Well it is holiday break time. No games for a few days, so I guess all ECAC hockey fans can do is look back and ponder at the season thus far. Take these rankings with a grain of salt, as nothing is ever certain in this league.
1. Cornell- In terms of league play the Big Red are simply the best. They just keep winning and with freshmen Brian Ferlin leading the way they won’t stop. The is 6-1-1 in league play so far and has the depth to make a run in the NCAA tournament.
2. Union- To be honest Union is a weird team. They can beat nationally ranked teams like Michigan and Merrimack, but then they have disappointing results in home league games to the likes of Princeton and Brown. Time will only tell, but I think that Union is deserving of a top spot amongst the league.
3. Colgate- This year has been great for the Raiders. The team has a high-powered offense led by Austin Smith and Chris Wagner. Colgate is on a roll going 5-0-1 in its last six games.
4. Yale- The Bulldogs have failed to live up to expectations, but their is still hope. Recently Yale has had a rough time losing to Brown, Umass, and Boston College.
5. Dartmouth- This is a bold pick, but as I am around this team so often I can tell the talent that they have. Dustin Walsh is slated to return after the holiday break and that will boost this team in the second half.
6. Qunnipiac- The Bobcats had an awkward start to led play, but there is a good core to this team. This may not be the year they get a first round bye for the playoffs , but next year they will be stacked.
7. Saint Lawrence- The Saints really fit in this position, as they are fairly average. At one point the team was at the top of the league standings, but fell off.
8. Harvard- Is still trying to identify themselves. Picked up some huge results in the month of November against Colgate, UNH, and Umass. They could move up with some luck.
9. Brown- The Bears have been a little pest to many ECAC teams this season. Brown has had big upset wins against top league opposition in Yale, Union, and Cornell. Nobody will want to meet them in the playoffs.
10. Clarkson- The Golden Knights haven’t done much in league play aside from a tie against Cornell and A 4-0 win against Dartmouth. There is no star on the team, but there is a group of good role players.
11. Princeton- This season has been a large disappointment for the Tigers. They seem to be cemented at the bottom of the table.
12. RPI- There isn’t much to say about the Engineers this season. What a change a year makes.