We’ve reached the last weekend of the regular season and there is still much to be decided. The only things we know for sure are Niagara will finish first and Sacred Heart will finish last. Everything in between will be decided this weekend.
1. Niagara – The regular season champions just continue to win. We’ll see if Dave Burkholder gives any of his regulars some rest this weekend at Air Force.
2. Air Force – The Falcons have locked up a first round bye but still have a lot to play for. They can finish as high as second if they win. They host Niagara this weekend.
3. Holy Cross – The Crusaders need to win this weekend. They can finish as high as second or fall to eighth. That’s a huge swing. They face an Army team that has struggled in the last weeks.
4. Mercyhurst – The Lakers have a huge weekend with Robert Morris. They trail Robert Morris by just one point and still have the possibility of clinching a first round bye. The matchup is arguably the the most important one of the weekend.
5.UConn – The Huskies need four points to assure themselves a bye. They can still get it if other teams lose, but the Huskies do control their own destiny. They face a Sacred Heart that has been playing their best hockey of the season.
6. RIT – The Tigers can earn a bye this weekend but need lots of help. They can help their cause by taking four points against Canisius this weekend.
7. Robert Morris – The Colonials face Mercyhurst this weekend with a chance to claim a first round bye. But they need to sweep and get some help to earn that bye.
8. Bentley – The Falcons have struggled mightily down the stretch, costing them a first round bye. They can still host a first round playoff series, but face American International this weekend.
9. Canisius – The Golden Griffins can host a first round playoff series. They’ll have to beat RIT to do it though.
10. AIC – The Yellow Jackets have come on strong in the last month. Because of that, they have a shot of hosting a first round playoff series. But they’ll have to win against Bentley if they want that to happen.
11. Sacred Heart – The Pioneers can sealed their fate and will finish in last. But they’ve come on strong in the last couple of weeks. They can play spoiler against UConn this weekend.
12. Army – The Black Knights can finish as high as ninth but need to win, something they haven’t done a lot of lately. They’ll have a challenge with Holy Cross this weekend.