While it’s still early in the season, its starting, albeit slowly, to become clear who has a chance to win the Atlantic Hockey title this year. Air Force and RIT, perennial favorites, have had trouble with consistency this year and have yet to win consecutive games, while Niagara hasn’t lost in five straight games and is perfect in conference play.
1. Niagara – For the second straight week the Purple Eagles sit atop the Power Rankings thanks to back-to-back shutouts of UConn by Carsen Chubak. After that performance Chubak has definitely cemented himself as the No. 1 in net. Chubak leads the nation with a .962 save percentage and is tied for first in goals against (1.23). His three shutouts also lead the nation.
2. Air Force – The Falcon may have found their groove after a 7-0 blanking of Holy Cross. If they can carry that momentum into this weekend, the Falcons can win consecutive games for the first time all season.
3. Holy Cross – The Crusaders had a chance for a huge weekend after coming back from being down by two to Air Force on Friday but Saturday was a let down as they were shutout 7-0.
4. Robert Morris – The Colonials split a pair with Bentley this past weekend. They’ll face a stiff test when they face a stingy Canisius defense on Friday.
5. Army – The Black Knights didn’t play this weekend but will face Niagara this weekend.
6. Bentley – The Falcons lost their first conference game of the year in a weekend split with Robert Morris.
7. Mercyhurst – The Lakers appear to be turning this around. A weekend sweep of Sacred Heart leaves them unbeaten in three straight.
8. RIT – The Tigers had a three point weekend against AIC, their first points of the season.
9. American International – The Yellow Jackets took one point from a weekend set with RIT but responded with a huge 2-1 win at Quinnipiac where they were outshot 40-17.
10. Canisius – The Golden Griffins have yet to win a game this year but managed two ties against Clarkson this weekend.
11. UConn – The Huskies were shutout twice by Niagara and continue to search for their first win of the year. That search could be even harder without longtime coach Bruce Marshall behind the bench for the foreseeable future.
12. Sacred Heart – The Pioneers are also in search of their first win of the season after being swept by Mercyhurst.